Drew Estate Unveils “DE2”, New 60,000 sq ft Leaf Processing Facility
On Friday, January 17th, Drew Estate Tobacco Company held a ribbon cutting ceremony at their new leaf processing facility, dubbed “DE2”. Built across the street from their La Gran Fabrica in Estelí, Nicaragua, the new facility is one of the largest, most state-of-the-art leaf processing operations in the world, specializing in dark air-cured tobaccos.
The opening of “DE2” is a massive step deeper into vertical integration for the sixteen-year-old company, who currently resides as the third largest premium cigar company in the United States by sales.
Drew Estate has a daily production of approximately 95,000 long filler cigars, made entirely by hand, using natural leaf and absolutely no machines or homogenized tobaccos. “DE2” provides Drew Estate with the ability to drastically increase their scale for pilone curing and bail storage, as well as provide all of the necessary professional support services in leaf sorting, classification and analysis.
Ultimately, “DE2” will make the enormous Nicaraguan operation more efficient and more profitable, but not without certain sacrifice, as the “all in cost” was over $4,000,000 USD.
When reached for comment, Drew Estate President, Michael Cellucci shared that “the cost was significant for a privately held company, but the benefits to
cigar quality, leaf curing control, tobacco aging, and overall administrative organization will make it all worth it as we have a long term commitment to our premium cigar business.”
In addition to the leaf processing facility, Drew Estate constructed a cafeteria and medical center within the same compound, again supporting the long-term paternalistic approach that the company considers a pillar of its success.
Drew Estate was honored by the presence of Gordon Mott, Executive Editor of Cigar Aficionado, as well as Mayor of Estelí Francisco “Pancho” Valenzuela Blandon, who both participated in the cutting of the blue and white ribbon at the ceremony. Co-Founder Marvin Samel noted that “it is the wonderful people of Estelí, Nicaragua who provide the backbone to our art, and we wanted them to have the best, most modern facility in the world. I feel that we have accomplished this goal.”
About Drew Estate LLC
Established in 1996, Drew Estate LLC is a privately held manufacturer and distributor of innovative and traditional premium cigars for today’s cigar smoker. In just over ten years, Drew Estate has become one of the top three cigar companies in the nation. Regarded as the pioneer and leader in the infused cigar market, Drew Estate’s Nicaraguan factory handcrafts ACID® by Drew Estate, Natural, Tabak Especial®, Java by Drew Estate®, and other unique cigars along with its traditional Liga Privada®, La Vieja Habana, Nica Rustica, Herrera Esteli™ and Undercrown® marks.
For more information, please visit http:// http://www.drewestate.com
ACID, Natural, Java by Drew Estate, Undercrown, La Vieja Habana, MUWAT, Nica Rustica, Herrera Esteli and Liga Privada are trademarks of Drew Estate and/or affiliated companies.
Be the first to know about cigar news! Sign up for our RSS Feed Here!
Cigar News Archive:
- • Cigar News: Press Release: National HEX Day
- • Cigar News: Press Release: The new Davidoff Nicaragua Puro cigar range is officially revealed at a New York pre-launch event
- • Cigar News: Press Release: MOYA RUIZ CIGARS IS ADDING A 6 x 60 VITOLA TO LA JUGADA – PRIETO LINE
- • Cigar News: Press Release: Sindicato Cigars
- • Cigar News: Press Release: Hispaniola Cigars Announces the Release of Turei Cigars
- • Cigar News: Press Release: Matt Booth & Smoke Inn Create Bastard Child
- • Cigar News: Press Release: The Heisenberg Project
- • Cigar News: Press Release: Tatuaje Apocalypse
- • Cigar News: Press Release: CigarDojo.com Releases the CigarDojo Social Cigar App
- • Cigar News: Michigan Legislature Approves 50-Cent Cigar Tax Cap
- • Cigar News: Press Release: Oliva to Distribute Padilla Cigars
- • Cigar News: Press Release: Executive Promotions at Drew Estate
- • Cigar News: Press Release: PRIMER MUNDO CIGAR COMPANY ANNOUNCES THE LAUNCH OF LA HERMANDAD
- • Cigar News: Press Release: PDR CIGARS ANNOUNCES RELEASE OF THE A. FLORES SERIE PRIVADA
- • Cigar News: Press Release: La Flor Dominicana to introduce new items at IPCPR
- • Press Release: GURKHA CIGAR GROUP TO RELEASE 125th ANNIVERSARY CIGAR
- • Press Release: The New Perdomo 20th Anniversary Cigar Brand to Debut at the 2012 IPCPR Trade Show in Orlando, FL
- • Press Release: H.R. 1639 Reaches 210 Cosponsors Only Eight More to Reach a Majority
- • Press Release: Reinado Cigars